Tools Options Menu
The Options dialog consists of three to four tabs in which the general settings, functions of the local Professional Planner Server, access to external Professional Planner Servers and the settings for working with the Professional Planner Collector can be defined.
The register tab Local Server is available only for versions on single workstations. These versions have individual servers and can therefore calculate and save data independently of server systems.
The General tab contains the following settings:
- Do not activate session while opening: By default, the most recently used session and its datasets are automatically activated when launching professional planner. When working with several datasets, it can be useful to turn this automatic action off by clicking the checkbox next to Do not activate session while opening.
- Open document maximized: If you activate this option, all documents are opened in their maximum size.
- Open help in default web browser: Some of the help files are saved in HTML format and can be loaded using a web browser (Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 and higher). In general, these help sites are displayed as documents within the program. If you enable this option, the sites are displayed in a separate web browser.
- Data compression: When working with remote access, it can be particularly useful to compress the data exchanged between the PP Server and your computer. A compression reduces the data volume sent via the data line by about a third.
- Update interval: With the help of this parameter you can specify the time interval for Professional Planner to check whether new data is to be loaded into the opened documents. By default, there is a check every 0.5 seconds.
- Structure document path: Here you can define from which folder the document should be retrieved when you use the Open document with command in the structure tree. Please note that documents in subdirectories are not taken into consideration.
- Background website: Using this command, you can display any desired website in the background of the program.
- Browser website: You can insert a register displaying a website in the PP navigation tree. The path of this website can be entered here.
- Message beep: Using this function you can activate a signal tone that will sound whenever a new message is added to the info field on the icon bar.
- Navigational tree double click: Using this option you can specify whether you would like to use one click or a double-click to switch in period and organization and to open documents.
- Maximum number of open documents: Determines the maximum number of documents to be opened in a session.
Starting with version 4.5.2.001
- Structure tree display format: Here you can define which field references are to be displayed in the Professional Planner structure tree. The field references have to be entered in the following way: %FRField reference number"% (e.g. %FR4760% - %FR4763%). Further information on StructureTreeFormat Property
Local server tab
In this register tab you can define the working directory for the datasets, the BCL and the database systems used.
- Working directory: Here you define the standard directory for SQL Anywhere and MSDE/SQL 2005 Express database files. For performance reasons, we recommend that the standard directory for SQL Anywhere is located on a fast hard disk of the local computer. If you use MSDE/SQL 2005 Express it is mandatory that you select a directory on the local hard disk.
- Default Business Content Library: Using this option, you can select the BCL that will be used for new datasets without any additional settings.
- Background processing of inputs: This parameter activates the parallel background processing of multiple data inputs. This option ensures fast data gathering, i.e. instead of processing the entered data immediately, this is only done if there is enough time for it due to a break between data inputs. If this option is turned off, you must wait until the previous inputs have been processed. The amount of background-processing steps should not be changed; an increase can considerably slow down the processing speed.
- MS SQL Server databases: This setting allows direct access to Microsoft SQL Servers and enables you to create and delete datasets. This setting is mainly intended for maintenance computers.
- MS database file: This option comprises both MSDE and SQL 2005 Express databases. MSDE is short for Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine, a smaller version of the Microsoft SQL Server 2000. SQL 2005 Express is the follow-up solution of MSDE and is supported from version 4.3. Using this format, the datasets are saved as files (one dataset is one file), which enables simple handling. You can also use this format in local mode, if you have installed a complete version of Microsoft SQL server 2000/2005 on your computer.
- MS SQL Server instance for database files: If you assigned a name during MSDE or SQL 2005 Express installation, e.g. MYPC\MSDE (MYPC = server name, MSDE = instance name), the name of the server is entered here with the instance name.
- Oracle Server databases: Professional Planner can also be operated with Oracle database servers. Oracle database servers are supported starting from version 9.x. This option is intended primarily for the maintenance of server operations.
External servers tab
In the External Server tab, the names of the PP servers to be accessed via network connections are entered. For PP servers, this entry is defined automatically during the installation process. You can only access a PP Server after you have entered the server connection.
- Allow user login: If this option is enabled, you can log in with your user name and password when starting Professional Planner. You need this user login if you want to be connected to a PP Server with an authentication system, which you cannot access with the standard Windows login procedure. This option is only used in exceptional cases.
- Add: Clicking this button inserts a new external server into the server list. The name of the server is entered in the same way as it is available via the TCP/IP protocol. Existing domain names (e.g. PPServer.mycompany.com) must be entered and should be used consistently on the server and the resolvers (e.g. WINS or DNS).
- Remove: Clicking this button removes the selected server from the server list.
This register tab contains basic settings for distributing and collecting reports and planning data using the PP Collector. The Collector enables you to modify the contained data and send them to a PP Server. Professional Planner can automatically process the sent data.
- User name and password: Here you enter the login name that will be used to process Collector data on the server. The login name entered here is used whenever you use the command Process data directly in the Collector toolbar.
- E-mail address for processing confirmation: After the Collector data have been processed successfully, an automatically generated e-mail notification can be sent by Professional Planner. The necessary address can be entered here.
- E-mail address for return of data: Once the data have been processed, Professional Planner sends an automatically generated e-mail notification to this address if the user enabled the corresponding function. When working with the single workstation version of Professional Planner, this user is usually the person in charge of planning who will actually import the data into the dataset.
- Return of data as book: This option should always be enabled if the person in charge of planning has to check the data before they are processed. In server systems, this option can be used as an alternative to direct server processing.