Release notes prevero professional planner 8
prevero»professional planner 8 offers a completely redesigned and modern user interface. The new navigation philosophy guides users through the application and supports them in their daily work. Along with the visual update of the user interface, several new features were implemented to simplify your work with professional planner. One of our main concerns was to make the program more user-friendly and easier to handle. The implementation of new features was based in large part on our customers' wishes. In this version, we were able to include many functions our customers have been looking forward to for a long time.
Moreover, the modules Transformation Manager, Allocation Manager, IC Transfer Manager and Excel Connector have been fully integrated into the new version.
- Opening data directories via the document tree: With professional planner 8, directories can be opened directly in Windows Explorer by right-clicking on the respective folder in the document tree and selecting Open from the context menu. For further details please refer to the article Document Tree.
- New drill button directly in the document: The drill symbol (a plus or minus sign) enables faster access to the results of drills and list queries. Structure and period are drilled on the next level; the drill-down filter is carried out at original level. Further details can be found in the articles Drill-down Filter and List Query.
- Display & input possibility for drills and list queries: Starting with version professional planner 8, the starting row of the drill-down filter can be used to display the sum of the values below. For further details on how to use this function, please refer to the articles Drill-down Filter and List Query.
- Simulation & top-down input on cost groups: professional planner 8 enables you to carry out simulations and top-down inputs on cost groups. A description of the top-down input function can be found in the example Top-down input on cost groups.
- Second document bar in documents: In the new version of professional planner, the document bar is inserted via the new ribbon. Moreover, there are now two document bars available. Please refer to the article Document Bar for further information.
- Adjustment of the server settings (OLCAP Runtime): To give you a better overview of the settings in OLCAP Runtime, they were divided into "Basic Settings" and "Advanced Settings". Moreover, you can search for server settings via a search box. The article Server Settings offers an overview of all available settings in professional planner 8.
- Administrator messages via the message box: The administrator can now send messages to the users via field reference 99100. Administrator messages can be sent using the document Notification Dialog. For details on how to set up a message box and send messages, please refer to the article Set up a message box and send messages.
- Licensing: Starting with professional planner 8, you have to request a license file after installing the software. Details on the licensing process can be found in the article Licensing.
- New assignment of user rights: The process of assigning user rights was completely revised in professional planner 8. The assignment of user rights is now based on Windows groups, enables you to select several users at once and allows direct access to the Windows Start dialog. For instructions on how to assign permissions, please refer to the article HowTo:Assign permissions.
- Windows security groups for server-related rights: Apart from the dataset-related standard security, the new version professional planner 8 offers global roles in the form of local Windows security groups. If these groups are not available yet, they are created when the OLCAP Service is started. Please refer to the article Server-related Rights to learn how to use these groups.
- Customized buttons in the monitor: Often there is the need to directly access a central data directory and open documents, reports etc. there. Starting with version professional planner 8, it is possible to create customized shortcuts. If you are interested, please contact a prevero consultant.
- New keyboard shortcuts: A range of new keyboard shortcuts will make your work with professional planner even easier than before. Keyboard shortcuts enable you to find frequently used functions easier and faster. For further details please refer to the article Abbreviated keyboard commands.
- Undoing data input: In professional planner 8, we were able to implement one of the most requested functions. Starting with this version, it is possible to undo data input. A dialog was created specifically for this function, including a log from which you can select the values you would like to undo. For instructions on how to use the undo dialog, please refer to the article HowTo:Undo data input.
- Defining column width and row height in the context menu: With professional planner 8, you can define the column width and row height in documents via the context menu (right-click). When selecting a column in the document, the options Column width... and Row height... are displayed in the context menu.
- New status bar: In the new status bar of professional planner 8, you can find a wide range of additional information. Apart from details about the dataset, element and period, the status bar now displays administrator messages, information on simulations, the sum of selected cells and many other things. For further details, please refer to the article Status Bar.
- New memo system: The redesigned memo system in professional planner 8 enables you to create and find memos quickly and easily. Available memos are now displayed both in the document and in the structure tree. Further details can be found in the articles Memo and Memo Bar.
- Managing file-based databases: Starting with professional planner 8, there is only one fixed storage directory for MS SQL Server Express databases. You can create an individual folder structure within this directory. More detailed information on managing professional planner files can be found in the article Create Dataset.
professional Services for Microsoft Excel
- Optimized drill performance The professional Services for Microsoft Excel for professional planner 8 provide a significant performance increase when working with large structures and large amounts of data. Compared to the previous version, imports are 2.5 times faster.
- COM interface: The COM interface enables you to access functions from professional Services for Microsoft Excel via VBA macros. Further details can be found in the article COM Interface.
- Copy & paste: In the new version, professional Services for Microsoft Excel offers buttons for copying and pasting professional planner objects.
- New import options: In version professional planner 8, there are three new import instructions extending the import function. For more details, please refer to the article DataImport Instruction.
- New dialog for selecting and creating datasets: The redesigned dialog for selecting and creating datasets provides you with a wide range of options for easier and more efficient dataset management. For example, it is now possible to organize local datasets in a folder structure. Moreover, the dialog enables you to search the data structure to find datasets more quickly. Further information can be found in the articles Open Dataset, Create Dataset, Save Dataset As and Convert Dataset.
- Dataset management in the session tree: professional planner 8 offers a new way of organizing datasets in the session tree. Datasets can be moved within and between sessions via drag&drop. As the datasets remain open during the process, there is a very short loading time. Information on how to use this feature can be found in the article Session.
- New copy function for elements: The completely redesigned copy function offers a wide range of new possibilities for copying elements. Among other things, it is now possible to copy elements to several targets at once. Go to the article HowTo:Copy and paste elements to learn how to use the copy function.
- Optimizing cross-company copy operations concerning accruals and deferrals: Starting with professional planner 8, accruals on balance sheet accounts are transferred accordingly also during cross-company copy operations. Up to Professional Planner 2011, accruals in the target company (into which the element was copied), were always set on the first detailed balance sheet account found by Professional Planner. Now the accrual is set exactly in the same way on the inserted element as it was on the original element. However, this only works if the element and structure names of the balance sheet accounts are identical in both companies.
- Carrying data forward: The new Carry forward function enables you to transfer values to subsequent periods. For a more detailed description, please refer to the article Carrying values forward.
- Setting to zero via XML: In professional planner 8 it is possible to set selected field references (limited to a period and specific elements) to zero. This can be done by formulating a simple XML definition. For a more detailed description of the XML definition and instructions on how to set to zero, please refer to the article Selective zero setting with XML.
- Period distribution: Creating and transferring distributions was optimized in professional planner 8. Starting with this version, it is possible to copy distributions across datasets and transfer distributions to subsequent periods. Detailed information can be found in the article Period Distributions.
Wizard for additional field references
- Copying additional field references: When copying elements in professional planner 8, it is possible to copy additional field references as well. Further information on the Copy additional data function and other copying options can be found in the article Paste Element.
- Single workstation use of the professional planner service: In professional planner 8, single workstation versions also work with the professional planner service. This service is running under the local system account, which also makes it possible for users with limited rights to use professional planner without any restrictions. You still need administrator rights to adjust the server settings in OLCAP Runtime.
- Sales volume now on FR2 instead of FR0: Starting with version professional planner 8, the field reference Sales Volume (2) enables you to plan the sales volume when carrying out a sales planning with a quantity x price structure. Up to version Professional Planner 2011, sales volumes were recorded and imported via the field reference Sales Volume(0). As this led to problems in some cases, the sales volume is now planned via field reference 2.
- Defining settings (dataset, structural element and period) via documents: Starting with professional planner 8, the settings for datasets and structure can only be defined via the respective standard document (Structural Elements, Datasets). Defining the periods separately is not possible anymore.
- Revised default settings in the OLCAP Server settings: In the new version, some of the default settings were changed. For more details, please refer to the article OLCAP Server Settings.
- Exporting user interfaces: In the new version, user interfaces can only be exported via the Administrator interface. The new export process is described in the Exporting user interfaces example.
- Displaying the data status: Starting with professional planner 8, the Show data status button is not available anymore. Consequently, the key word PPWorkstate cannot be used any more to query the active button.
- Adjustment of the template file to SQL Server 2012: The template file with the database schema .vdb was replaced with an SQL script to meet the requirements of SQL Server 2012.
- Downloading example datasets: Starting with professional planner 8, only the example datasets "RockingHorseActual" and "RockingHorsePlan" are included in the scope of delivery. All other example datasets can be downloaded in our Download Center free of charge. Example datasets
- Queries with limited rights: In older versions of professional planner, users with limited rights had problems querying datasets that were not opened as first dataset in the session. The queries were always carried out on the first dataset and on the first element the user had rights on. This error was resolved in professional planner 8.
- Language settings BackupPP: Starting with professional planner 8, BackupPP is referred to the right language (German or English), depending on the language settings on the server.
- Transferring the next ID number to be assigned: When saving datasets using Save as, the next ID number to be assigned was not transferred correctly if it had been increased manually before. This behavior was corrected in professional planner 8 and now the identical next ID number to be assigned is transferred.
- Automatic font color: In older versions, the font color was white when selecting Automatic. In professional planner, the automatic font color is black.
- Connecting to the Import Manager: When an Import Manager was saved on the second dataset and then opened in a session containing only one dataset, a connection to the dataset could not be established, even after switching. This error was corrected in professional planner 8.
- Documents with a limited print area: When exporting documents with a limited print area to Microsoft Excel, the error message "One or more invalid names were detected in this workbook. Those invalid names have been changed to #REF." was displayed. In professional planner 8, documents with a limited print area can be exported without any problems.
- Switching in the document Quick Key Figures: The settings for switching in the document Quick Key Figures used to be set to Active sheet only instead of All. This led to errors, as the second tab (to which the first tab was referring) was not switched. The setting was adjusted in the English and German documents of professional planner 8.
- Missing tooltips in the Import Manager: Starting with professional planner 8, short descriptions are displayed when positioning the cursor over the buttons used during transformation and allocation.
- Program information: In the previous version of professional planner, the wrong installation name was displayed in the program information. In professional planner 8, the correct program information is displayed (Administrator, App, Analysis Reporting).
- Simulation on OTH Variable Costs: In the document Simulation, the field reference used for entering the absolute OTH Variable Costs was missing in the Simulation Overview tab. The missing field reference FR111 was added in professional planner 8.
- Difference displayed in comparison documents: Due to an error in the comparison documents, the Difference in % was displayed as "zero" if "zero" was the value in the first dataset. The formula was corrected in the documents for professional planner 8.
- Cost center allocation: It was not possible to make allocations to the cost centers 101-300 in the BCL Profit. In professional planner 8, this error was resolved.
- Dataset selection dialog with user login: If users were working with the user login instead of the integrated login, they were able to open datasets manually in the session tree, but not with macros that are using a dataset selection dialog (DatabaseDialog). This problem no longer occurs in professional planner 8.
- Document memory size: In professional planner, the memory size of a document does no longer change when saving the document several times.
- Inadvertent integration of balance macros: In older versions of professional planner, the managers BalanceOpen.pba and BalanceSwitch.pba were integrated automatically into documents as a triggered event. In professional planner 8, this error no longer occurs.
- Creation dates of memos: In professional planner 8, the creation date is no longer adjusted when editing a memo.
- Specifying databases in the server settings: When specifying databases under public databases and public creation databases in the Server Settings, it is necessary to separate the databases with a semicolon, as well as enter a semicolon after the last database. In professional planner 8, the last semicolon is added automatically if this has been forgotten, as opening datasets is not possible otherwise.
- Opening documents: When opening documents and managers directly in the Windows Explorer or from e-mails, Professional Planner 2011 was opened again in a new window. This error was corrected in professional planner 8.
- Deleting connected datasets: Starting with professional planner 8, users possessing administrator rights are able to delete datasets that are still connected. A dialog is displayed stating that the dataset could not be deleted, as connections are still open and the user is asked if he really wants to delete the dataset. If he confirms with "Yes", the dataset is deleted (provided that user possesses the necessary rights).
- Report Manager setting: When exporting documents via the Report Manager with the setting Register tabs = Yes, the documents were exported correctly containing all register tabs, but the column width was transferred incorrectly to Microsoft Excel. In professional planner 8, this error was resolved.
- Drilling and detail list in Excel Services: In older versions, queries were not carried out correctly in the Services for Microsoft Excel when working with detail lists and drill-downs. This behavior does no longer occur in the new version.
- Copying sales segments: When copying sales segments, the setting Sales Quantity x Price for the planning mode was lost if all options except Copy transaction data were enabled in the Paste dialog. In professional planner 8, the settings are transferred correctly.
- Missing rights in the period: When users did not possess the necessary rights in a period, they did not receive an error message stating that the value could no be written. Starting with professional planner 8, an error message informs users about the missing rights.
- Transformation Manager: If more than two rows were active in the Transformation Manager, only the first row was considered when carrying out the data transfer. This was corrected in professional planner 8.
- Allocation manager: If a value table was opened in the Allocation Manager without defining any advanced settings beforehand, the drill-down was not carried out correctly. In professional planner 8, this error was resolved.